Blepharoplasty, otherwise known as eyelid surgery (or eyelid plastic operation) – is a procedure of plastic surgery, during which excess of skin and (or) fat is removed from eyelids. It is one of the most frequent plastic operations in the work of Vytautas Jankūnas.
Lifting of eyelids opens up tired eyes
The natural aging process, emotional experiences and stress, as well as other emotional and physical reasons determine why the skin around the eyes is more wrinkled, bags under the eyes appear, become heavy and sagging, and give the appearance of a tired glance.
Naturally, eyelid surgery is usually performed on people of older age. According to plastic surgeon V. Jankūnas, the average age of the patients who undergo eyelid surgery is approximately 35–40 years.
A brief description of eyelid surgery by the doctor:
Possible options of eyelid correction:
- Surgery of the upper eyelids – operation of the upper eyelids includes removal of excess skin through incisions.
- Lower eyelid surgery – removal of bags and hernia under the eyes. Incision is usually made on the eyelash edge of the eyelid.
- Transconjunctival blepharoplasty – this procedure is performed when there is no need for removal of excess skin, and the cut is done on the internal side of the eyelid, thus there are no post surgery marks around the eyes.
- Operation of both eyelids – combined correction of upper and lower eyelids.
Some methods can be combined and performed during a single surgery.
The recommended method of correction in each case is suggested by the plastic surgeon during individual consultation.
Before and after eyelid surgery
The procedure of eyelid correction:
- The duration of surgery is approximately 1 hour.
- Carried out under regional anaesthesia.
Light bandages are put on the eyes after the operation, as well as ice for cooling, there might be discomfort in the region of eyes after anaesthesia, which is relieved with analgesic preparations if necessary.
The patient is discharged home on the same day after the procedure.
After the operation
The healing process after eyelid surgery can take up to 3 weeks, during which the patient does not feel any consequences of surgery.
Important to know:
- swelling may persist up to a week
- the patient can read on the third day after eyelid surgery
- those wearing contact lenses will have to do without them for at least two weeks
- healing of scars takes 2–3 weeks
Detailed description of eyelid surgery by the doctor:
Changes after the operation are immediately visible: change of the shape of eyes, smother skin around them, no dark patches under the eyes, eyelids get the sense of “lightness”, better general feeling.
If You have any questions of would like to meet plastic surgeon dr. Vytautas Jankūnas, sign up for an appointment.
Prices of eyelid surgery:
* The price includes necessary medical items, pre-and post-surgery care.